What to expect when you quit smokingImmediately after your last cigarette, your body starts working to repair the damage created by smoking. Here are some health improvements to expect after you quit smoking:

After 20 Minutes: Your blood pressure decreases, your pulse rate drops to a normal level, and the temperature of your hands and feet increase.

After 8 Hours: Carbon monoxide levels decrease and oxygen levels increase in your blood.

After 24 Hours: Your chance of a heart attack decreases.

After 48 Hours: You will be nicotine free and your sense of taste and smell will improve.

Between 1 and 3 Months: Circulation improves, walking becomes easier, and lung function increases 30%.

Between 3 and 9 Months: Your lungs will begin to repair themselves, and you’ll notice that you cough less, breath easier, and have more energy!

After 1 Year: Your risk of coronary heart disease is decreased to half of that of a smoker.

After 5 Years: Your stroke risk is reduced to that of people who never smoked.

After 10 Years: Your risk of lung cancer drops to 1/2 of that of a smoker, and the risk of developing various other cancers decreases.

After 15 years: You are no more at risk of heart disease than if you never smoked. Your risk of death is also that of a non-smoker.

It’s never too late to quit. Join a group TODAY to get started >>

Share →

12 Responses to What To Expect After You Quit Smoking

1. jackiejay says:

I am on day 6 (Friday April 13 was my last cigarette). I have struggled a little bit the last 2 days. My main triggers are after meals, when I first wake up, and in the evenings after a stressful day. I have had to do all sorts of re-arranging of my day to keep me busy. I’m having to re-learn to do other things in its place. My mental habit is so much stronger than the physical addiction. I love smelling and being able to taste my food, and going somewhere and smelling nice. And being able to breathe (every day my breathing gets better and I cough less Thanks for all the info and the e-mails. Jackie

2. shaon anthony says:

Good for you Jakie. I haven’t quit yet, I have so many excuses why not.

3. Grace says:

Good for you Jackie,I quit april 19th and have not have a cigarette since then..I’ts not that easy but i keep on fighting …I can do this…

4. Myran Anderson says:

I have been smoking since the 6grade and have never stop,but really want too but its very hard took some medicine for it but didn’t work and I know its time to stop and now I am 47yrs old and coughing alot now I no I need help but don’t know where to start

5. Debbie Jewell says:

I’m happy to say that I had very little side affects! no coughing.just some cravings after meals.I’m taking one day at a time.Prayer helps too.

6. Wendy Moore says:

I thank God I have quitgroups for support! It’s an awesome program.I am very proud of my progress of being quit 3 weeks! It feels great I can breathe better and am not coughing at all.Thanks!

7. James L Clute says:

I smoked for 52 years. I stopped cold turkey on 1/2/2013 I’ve been free of cigarettes for three months now. I feel GREAT. I should of quit years ago. Maybe then I wouldn’t have had my heart attack on 9/11/2007. Better late than never. It’s not hard to quit. Do it for yourself and your loved ones. I did.

8. shelly says:

I have a quit date of April 15, 2013. I’ve been nervous and grumpy. I know this is normal but not looking forward to the first couple of weeks. I quit before for a little while but when I start to get comfortable and think I’m good, I got it licked seems like suddenly I a crisis hits and I fall off the wagon. Never been in a quit smoking support group glad I found y’all. Thank you for any support I can get or give. God I hate smoking!! It really really stinks!

9. Barbara says:

This is my first day(the morning coffee was very strange without the cig)I have made several attempts to quit before, my husband is also a smoker and not interested in giving them up at this time, the up side is he smokes menthol cigs not my thing!!!!!

10. stepheny says:

Today is my day too. April 15. I joined a group that starts tonight. I am using the gum and so far not too bad.